Do you have anyone special you would like to give a Valentine card to? I make one every year and today I would like to invite you to make one with me. First of all, get comfy, put some nice music on, make a cup of your favorite tea… and lets begin!
I teach watercolor on my YouTube channel and this post is a follow up to the video tutorial: Make a Valentine card! Watercolor and more.
You will need:
– 2 sheets of watercolor paper at least 7.5″ x 7.5″ ( I prefer Arches paper 156 lb).
– watercolor paint (in my case it’s Rose Madder Genuine (Winsor & Newton))
– soft bristle wide brush
– pointy bristle brush, smaller
– paper glue
– X-Acto knife
– small piece of ribbon
– paper towel
- Paint a fading out circle in the center of the paper.
Tip: it is easier if you would pre-wet your paper.
- Let it fully dry.
- Cut out the heart shape.
- Use this pattern below (print out) to cut out the “Love You!” note:
5. Out of the 2nd paper sheet cut the heart shape that is slightly larger. Paint pink on the perimeter. Let it dry fully.
6. Take foil and tape it on the back leaving enough area all around it for the glue.
Instead of the foil, you could use any other backing:
7. Cut a 6″ long ribbon. Apply the paper glue (make sure you spread it all the way to the edges, do not put too much glue so it stays in place) and carefully glue on top of the larger heart, while attaching the ribbon on the top.
8. Apply pressure on the top of the heart till it is fully dry (put a book or two on top).
9. Write your note on the back! I used the same color pink and wrote “Be my Valentine” with a pointy bristle brush. (You may want to practice on another paper before).
10. Final step: give your Valentine to someone special!